Social Sciences Department
Social Sciences – Learning Area Policy
• The Social Sciences Learning Area studies relationships between people, and between people and the environment.
• The concepts, skills and processes of History and Geography for key elements of the Social Sciences learning area in our school curriculum.
• Learners are encouraged to ask questions and find answers about society and the environment in which they live.
Social Sciences contributes to the development of informed, critical and responsible citizens who are able to participate constructively in a culturally diverse and challenging society. It also aims to develop an awareness of how we can influence our future by confronting challenging economic and social inequality to build a non-racial, democratic present and future.
Social Sciences Learning Outcomes
• Historical Enquiry – the learner will be able to use enquiry skills to investigate the past and the present.
• Historical Knowledge and Understanding – the learner will be able to demonstrate historical knowledge and understanding.
• Historical Interpretation – the learner will be able to interpret aspects of History.
• Geographical Enquiry – the learner will be able to use enquiry skills to investigate geographical and environmental concepts and processes.
• Geographical Knowledge and Understanding – the learner will be able to demonstrate geographical and environmental knowledge and understanding.
• Exploring Issues - the learner will be able to make informed decisions about social and environmental issues and problems.
Developmental Aims for improving learner achievement in Social Sciences
• Social Sciences vocabulary is taught weekly.
• Learners become familiar with various types of questions and practice them in their classwork books.
• Learners should do their homework every day to reinforce concepts and skills.
• Learners are encouraged to do corrections.
• Learners are taught to write in paragraphs.
• Educators have high expectations of their learners – demand and accept only their best effort.