MATHEMATICS @ De Vrije Zee
At De Vrije Zee Primary School we endeavour to:
• help children appreciate the value of Mathematics and its usefulness to them, to develop confidence in their own Mathematical ability, to foster a sense of personal achievement and to encourage a continuing and creative interest in Mathematics;
• develop in children the skills, concepts, understandings and attitudes which will enable them to cope confidently with the Mathematics of everyday life;
• help children develop a variety of problem solving strategies involving Mathematics and develop the ability to think and reason logically;
• help children become Mathematically literate in a world which is technologically oriented and information rich;
• provide a foundation for those children who may wish to further their studies in Mathematics or other subjects where Mathematical concepts are essential
In order to achieve the above-mentioned aims we:
FOLLOW A DAILY MENTAL MATHS PROGRAMME:
• Educators TEACH and walk around during the Mental Math Lessons- (17 minutes daily)
The following form part of the daily Mental Maths Programme:
• Multiplication Tables - Drilling and oral testing
• Mathematics Flip Charts (WCED) – LA –coordinator to plan the activities - oral testing
• Vocabulary - Educators to refer to vocabulary according to each week as set out in the Teacher’s guide of the blue books.
• During lessons the Foundations for Learning Lesson Plans are used in conjunction with the WCED Blue Books and textbooks.
• The Annual National Assessment – Test Framework
Learning Area Coordinators ensure that these tests, types of questions/exercises form part of their planning and are covered throughout the year.
• Educators Teach, teach, teach and interact with the learners all the time.
• Grade Learning Area Coordinators control from week to week at Grade meetings to establish the pace of the learners in the different classes of a grade.
Concrete examples are used - Practical lessons
We teach Mathematics concretely in order to internalise new concepts, before moving on to abstract thoughts.
• We use the posters, games, resource which are available in our Media-Center.
• The use of these posters are relevant to what you we are teaching currently. We do not use them simply to beautify your classes.
• Write examples, words on the chalkboard, use flashcards, etc.
• We also use the SUPEDI KIT and the
• MST (Mathematics Science Technology) KIT
Parents are encouraged to become partners in the education of their children and to guide and assist their children with the following:
• Times Tables - drilling must continue at home.
• Revision of work done in class
• Math Vocabulary - Spelling and meaning of the words.
• Point out Mathematics in every day situations
Parents are encouraged to send the extra activities/tests they do with their children to school.
MATHEMATICS TEAM @ DVZ